Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Homemade Christmas Treats

There's nothing I love more than baking for friends & family, teachers and neighbours during the holiday season.

I thought I would share with you some of my favourite homemade baked gift giving ideas over the next month. So without further adieu ....... (OMG, you are going to die when you taste these)

Picture 4

Custard Yo Yo's

If you are a fan of "Melting Moments" then you will LOVE these. Made with custard powder rather than cornflour it gives it a fabulous vanilla/custard taste.

Smooth shortbread filled with creamy custard icing.

250g soft butter
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1/2 cup custard powder

Preheat oven to 180c

Beat butter and icing sugar together until creamy.

Stir in sifted flour & custard powder.

Roll Tbsps into balls and flatten with a fork onto a baking tray (line with baking paper). I flatten in my hands as I like them smooth.

Bake 12-15mins until pale golden brown.

When cold sandwich together with custard icing.

Custard Icing:

Beat together 100g soft butter, 1 1/4 cups icing sugar, 1/4 cup custard powder and 2 drops of vanilla essence.


Now, to me, the way you present these is also very important. I would either fill up a glass cookie jar, find a pretty tin and line it with a matching teatowel, or you could purchase some premade boxes like these from Martha Stewart Crafts.

00070958-177386_400
Hope you have fun making these tasty little treats.

Recipe courtesy of my gorgeous friend Kathryn.



3 comments:

  1. They look delicious & so simple to make. Its 11pm and I want to make them right now but I think the mixer will wake up the whole family. Oh well , first thing in the morning , right after making breakfast , doing the dishes, getting my daughter ready for school, chasing my 3 year old around the house trying to get him dressed, after I drop my daughter at school but not before I stop at the lighting shop on the way home to pick up light fittings & power points so the electrician (who only called late tonight to say I will be there in the morning to install your fittings at 9.30) Oh yes the fittings that I dont have yet. Then I will make the cookies , oh wait no I cant because he will have to turn off the power to do his job. Then it will be time to pick up my daughter from school , take her to ballet lessons home at 5pm just in time to cook dinner & have a bath , bedtime stories , tidy up & here we are 24 hours later & still no custard yo yo's !
    Lets try Saturday morning , I cant wait to use my new oven .....
    Thanks Sharnel I will let you know how they turned out
    Karyn x
    )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Would you believe I was just thinking I should bake some goodies this Christmas.

    Would love you to share packaging ideas and sources too :)

    xx Amanda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a little comment on my blog. I truly appreciate it. xx