Friday, June 1, 2012

Vintage Circus backdrop

Creating interesting and theatrical backdrops isn't as hard and one would think.  I've just completed this backdrop in 40mins.  I still have to paint it, but the hard work is done.

circus

This particular backdrop is for a vintage style circus wedding next weekend.  I'm going to paint the inside of the 'tent' black and I'm making carnival style lettering with fairy lights and paper mache block letters to sit in the middle of the table.

Materials needed:
MDF sheet (this one is 2m x 1m) approx 7mm thick
1.5m of Velvet (we used dance quality as it's a little more affordable than real velvet)
Tassel tie backs x 2
Heavy duty staple gun

Firstly I pleated the side panels and stapled to the top MDF board.  I folded the edges over the top and stapled to the back.  Do this on both sides.  Be sure to measure so the sides are even.  I've left some fabric at the bottom and will either arrange it messily on the table or cut off on site.  See what works on the day.

To complete the gathered billowy curtain at the top I centred the piece of fabric and stapled across the entire piece to the back of the board.  Next I measured the centre and started to gather, pleat and staple until I was happy with the way it looked.  I then played around with either end of that piece until I got the balloon effect and stapled in place.

Once you are happy with the way the curtain or tent is sitting you can then attach the tassels.  I'm really looking forward to sharing with you the finished table next weekend.  Coby from The Lemony Cupcake is in charge of all the delicious desserts and wedding cake!



1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea! It looks quite easy to achieve with your simple to follow instructions. Thanks for sharing Sharnel! Can't wait to see the final 'look'!

    Kym

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a little comment on my blog. I truly appreciate it. xx